Please note our office is temporarily closed on Saturdays until further notice.

One of the most common themes that pops up on this forum is first-time solo travellers or would-be first-time solo travellers saying how nervous they are about travelling on their own.

Of course it is natural to be a little nervous before embarking upon something new. So let me offer a few words of re-assurance.

I have been on five One Traveller holidays and have another two booked.

Before each of them, I have noticed some folk who would be on the same holiday expressing an element of nervousness on the forum. Let me tell you something - by the time that we were all gathered together at the baggage carousel in the destination airport, waiting for our cases to come sliding down the chute, I would have been completely unable to guess who had been nervous about the holiday and who had not. Any reservations will have been completely dissipated by that early stage as members of the group realise that they are at the start of a great adventure.

I think that there are several reasons for that. First and foremost, on a OneT holiday, everyone is a solo traveller - no-one is the "odd one out" as a result of having come on their own. Secondly, OneT commissions Tour Managers who are really expert at pulling groups together and making everyone feel included. Thirdly, although the age range of a group may span the years 50 to 80+, it is a range which means that all those present are likely to have more shared perspectives than differences of experience. It's a comfortable range. And lastly, it is not a monocultural group in the sense of everyone travelling solo for the same reason (which might become a bit incestuous). Some will be folk who have always been single, some will have been widowed, some divorced/separated and some will be currently married or in a relationship but have chosen to travel without their partner for this trip.

In other words, it is just a formula which really works and within which any initial nervousness will very quickly disappear. And, of course, once you pick up your luggage from the carousel, the fun starts in earnest and you simply won't have any time to think about worries!

So, don't be concerned if you do feel some natural apprehension at this stage but do be assured that it is not going to spoil your holiday.

Well said Eric.

I have been on three OneT holidays and have two more booked for this year. One in 10 days time.

I would add are that the information sent with the tickets is excellent, and usually answers any outstanding questions, even giving travel details from Heathrow or Gatwick to the pre-holiday hotel.

The pre-holiday get together is a great idea and another good ice breaker. But if you live close enough to the airport, or choose to stay elsewhere, you will not miss out on anything by not going, and will certainly not be treated as a "second class guest".

Sylvia

Hello Eric

Thanks for your post, it has given me the confidence I need to enjoy my holiday in Tuscany
As you say we are all like minded people who are looking forward a shared interest in the holiday we have chosen

Best Regards
Anne

Hello Eric - Ditto - your comments have come just at the right time for me having just booked my first holiday - I don't know how many times I picked up the phone to book and then put it down again - thinking I can't possibly go on holiday on my own - your works have greatly reassured me so thank you

Well I am new to One Traveller having been recently widowed and I feel reassured now reading all your positive quotes. Can't wait for the brochures to arrive. Any suggestion on the best "first" trip to venture on? Regards jan

Hello Eric,
Just wanted to say thank you for your reassuring words. After reading your comments I've now switched to a positive mode and can't wait to start my first solo holiday (Prague in May).

Hi Jan

I am off on my first OT trip on Tuesday to Tuscany, it has been booked since last September and I am really getting excited about my first venture solo, albeit under the OT umbrella
I cannot recommend a first venture out, but speak to the guys and they will give you excellent advice, I chose Tuscany because it was where I wanted to go, having never been to Italy before, and the itinery took on all the places I am interested in. I am also doing the pre holiday get together, this should be a nice ice breaker before going to the airport

Good luck with holiday choice

Anne

(24-04-2016 04:27 PM)Jananddem Wrote:  Well I am new to One Traveller having been recently widowed and I feel reassured now reading all your positive quotes. Can't wait for the brochures to arrive. Any suggestion on the best "first" trip to venture on? Regards jan

Hello Jan

I don't think there is a single best and/or first trip!

There must be places you have always wanted to visit, with things you have always wanted to see: if so, then go there!

I always wanted to walk on the Great Wall of China, see the Terracotta Army, and get close up to some large pandas, so I chose China as my first trip - and this is about as far away as one can get with OT. Before I went, I did wonder what sort of people would choose such a holiday, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that, for the majority (which included a couple of ladies in the same position as you), it was not only their first trip to the Orient, but also their first trip with a solo travel company: without exception, we all mixed very well and had a wonderful time.

So, decide what you want and then go for it - but don't delay too much, as these holidays seem to sell out very quickly!

Jim

(24-04-2016 04:27 PM)Jananddem Wrote:  Well I am new to One Traveller having been recently widowed and I feel reassured now reading all your positive quotes. Can't wait for the brochures to arrive. Any suggestion on the best "first" trip to venture on? Regards jan

The one I would really recommend, Jan, is Sri Lanka in August. That remains my favourite.

When doing something new, there is much to be said for doing something completely new. So a destination that you have never been to before is worth considering. Of the long-haul destinations that I have been to with OneT, my order of preference would be:

1. Sri Lanka
2. India
3. China
4. Thailand

But I want to qualify that low rating for Thailand - I went at Christmas/New Year and it was not the same itinerary as OneT's "normal" Thailand tour. Friends who have been on the normal one rate it much more highly.

Having said that, I am going to Puglia in June - because it is a region of Italy that I have never been to before. I know I could do it much less expensively by just jumping on a low-cost flight and doing B&B but, frankly, the OneT organisation is so good that I am happy to pay a bit more, even for a European destination. And I am going back to China next Christmas/New year precisely because it is a different itinerary to the "normal" China tour.

So, as you can see, there are lots of options. Choose somewhere you really want to go and leave it to OneT to make it a memorable holiday.

Eric

(26-04-2016 11:24 AM)Eric Wrote:  The one I would really recommend, Jan, is Sri Lanka in August. That remains my favourite.

Of the long-haul destinations that I have been to with OneT, my order of preference would be:

1. Sri Lanka
2. India
3. China
4. Thailand

But I want to qualify that low rating for Thailand - I went at Christmas/New Year and it was not the same itinerary as OneT's "normal" Thailand tour. Friends who have been on the normal one rate it much more highly.

Eric

As Eric knows, my order of preference (with recommended travel dates) is:

1.Sri Lanka (in August for the elephant gathering) - we agree on this!!
2. Thailand in February - yes, this offers more than the Christmas itinerary as it includes (inter alia) the overland journey to the "Golden Triangle" and the Mekong via some very interesting places which I would not have wanted to miss
3-4. India (February/March) and China (October)

Note that India at Christmas does not appear to include the Ranthambore National Park, which would be a deal breaker for me (the sighting at close quarters of three tigers on day one was the highlight of the holiday:-), and China is a completely different holiday - but equally as good as the normal one, and I wish OT could offer it in the spring or autumn.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, and all are recommended!

Jim